The British car body manufacturer Carlton Carriage Company was based in Willesden, north of London. In the years between the two World Wars, in the period from around 1918 to around 1939, the company designed and manufactured special superstructures for renowned English and American automobile manufacturers. These were either individual items or small series. At the opening, the coachbuilder’s workshop was known as Kelvin Carriage, but the origin is not known. In 1925, after being taken over by a majority shareholder, the company was renamed Carlton Carriage Company.
In the 1920s, there was a close connection to Waverley Cars, where the body shop was located. The company produced special bodies based on the chassis of Buick, Hudson, Pontiac, Chrysler, Oldsmobile and Essex. Added to this were bodies for high-end brands such as Talbot and Humber, which were sold through authorised dealers.
When sales fell due to strong competition, Carlton worked as a subcontractor in the 1930s. Initially, the company took on orders from the body design firm Offord & Sons, and later the Connaught Motor & Carriage Company was added. During this time, the Carlton Carriage Company mainly produced one-off items for luxury car manufacturers such as Rolls Royce, Bentley, Delage and Hispona-Suiza.
One of the few known models from London is the Daimler DB 18 Drophead Coupé from 1939, which was driven by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill during his election campaign in 1944 and 1949. The Carriage Company was a repair shop until 1965.