The Swiss Carrosserie Worblaufen, F. Ramseier & Co. near Berne originated in 1900 and is not to be confused with the Bieler or Bernese Carrosserie Ramseier.
Under the company name Fritz Ramseier Wagenbau, the cartwright Fritz Ramseier-Scheidiger (1872-1936) and the blacksmith master Gottfried Bärtschi produced horse-drawn carriages. In 1929, when the sons of Ramseier-Scheidiger entered the company, they changed the concept and turned to car body construction. Now the craftsman’s workshop no longer produced carriages, but special bodies for luxury vehicles with sporty-elegant, open bodywork. Ramseier-Scheidiger’s son Fritz works as a draughtsman and designer in his father’s company, Hans as a coachbuilder and Ernst was responsible for sales. As early as 1931, Worblaufen first presented its own vehicle at a stand at the Geneva Motor Show.
The Swiss car body manufacturer quickly made a name for itself with its exclusive individual pieces based on expensive automobile brands. The automobiles became famous for their Alfa Romeo creations, such as the 1938 Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 B convertible from 1938, and to this day the 6C 2300 B is regarded as one of the most beautiful vehicles of the Swiss designers. Thanks to integrated spiral springs, the convertible’s patented soft top could be operated with one hand and folded very small. Characteristic for all vehicles from Worblaufen was a particularly slim form with an ultramodern, streamlined bodywork that was ultra-modern for those days.
The excellent craftsmanship and the innovative model design of the car body builders ensured orders from all over the world. In addition to the creations for Alfa Romeo, the workshop also designed special car bodies for Bugatti, Cadillac, Rolls-Royce, Bentley and numerous other renowned automobile manufacturers.
During the war, the company stayed afloat with army missions, the production of heating furnaces, refrigerators and wood gas generators. After the end of the war, Alfa Romeo and Lancia placed a major order, so that the Worblaufen car body needed a larger hall. In 1949 she built a small series of the Peugeot 203 convertible. In 1950, the bodyshop presented a successful convertible based on a Bentley Mark VI at the Geneva Motor Show.
However, when car manufacturers increasingly started to use self-supporting bodies, demand for special car bodies fell drastically in the 1950s. The last vehicle with a well-running body was a Rolls-Royce Phantom III in 1955, and until its sale in 1958 the long-established company took on repair orders and was involved in the construction of commercial vehicles, and in 1983 the Worblaufen car body finally closed its doors.