Giovanni Boneschi († 1946) founded his company in Cambiago in 1919, and from 1922 on, the craft business was able to establish itself as an authorised Lancia dealer for Enrico Minetti and produced car bodies exclusively for the dealer. From 1924 to 1926, Boneschi worked for the newly founded Citroën Italy brand. Afterwards, the coachbuilder turned to Lancia again. Numerous one-off productions as well as small series were produced. Among the famous Boneschi models are the Dilambda (1928-1935), the Austura (1931-1939) and the Aprilia (1937-1949).
In World War II, allied bombs destroyed the plant of the coachwork forge, and Boreschi rebuilt it in 1946. However, he died in the same year. Bruno Pezzaglie, who maintained good contacts with Alfa Romeo, took over the company’s management. Under his direction a golden age began. In 1948, the Carrozzeria Boneschi was commissioned to produce a ministerial version for the Italian state and probably also for the Vatican. The models were based on the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500T and appeared in the sales brochures. In 1953, the company launched a small series and a successful interpretation of the Lancia Aurelia B53. In 1957 followed the Alfa Romeo 1900 and the Alfa Romeo Giardinetta, a limited edition Giuletta as a station wagon. In 1960, a special edition of the Alfa 2600 Cabriolet and the 2600 Coupé appeared. In 1962, Carrozzeria Boneschi produced the famous Lancia Flaminia Spinner in collaboration with Rodolfo Bonetto.
As demand for industrial commercial vehicles increased, orders for car bodies declined. Carrozzeria Boneschi had to sell to Fiat’s subsidiary Carrozzeria Savio (Moncalieri) and from now on produced commercial vehicles. The models were mainly based on Fiat, OM and Iveco chassis.
Today, the former coachwork forge is only available as a brand. It is still part of the Savio Group, which in turn is owned by Omnia Holding. Formerly a successful coachwork forge, it developed into a manufacturer of commercial vehicles, armoured vehicles, railway construction and the production of sanitary fittings.