In 1931, the Italian coachbuilder Giuseppe Colli and his four sons Beniamino, Candido, Mario and Tarcisio founded the Carrozzeria Colli. Both father Giuseppe and his son Beniamino learned their trade at the nearby Carrozzeria Touring. The young car designers specialized in the use of aluminium. Comprehensive knowledge in the processing of light metal ensured that the small company quickly established itself in the sports and racing car bodies segment.
One of Colli’s first models was the Fiat 1100, based on the Fiat 500, which, together with the Lancia Astura and the Aprillia, initially provided the preferred basic models. In addition to sports and racing cars, the factory also produced a number of road vehicles based on the Fiat 1100B and 1500D chassis. This included a very successful all-aluminium coupé.
After an excursion into the world of motorboats, the design of various BMW variants and some Formula 3 vehicles, the Carrozzeria Colli became the official coachbuilder for Alfa Romeo in 1952. Among other things, the company designed various 6C 2500SS and a single version of the Disco Volante. The Alfa Romeo 6C 3000 CM, which was developed in 1953, became a much sought-after collector’s item. The vehicle was equipped with a 6-cylinder in-line engine. His 3.5-litre engine delivered 275 hp at 6,500 rpm. The chic sports car thus reached a top speed of 250 km/h. In 1955 the Collis built some Maserati-based Arzani-Volpini for the racing team owner Conte Giovanni Volpi. From the 1960s onward, they launched various models of the Guiletta, Giulia, 1900s saloon and the four-seater 1900 Sprint for Alfa Romeo. In 1973 the Carrozzeria Colli closed its doors.