In 1926, the two lawyers Felice Bianchi Anderloni (1882-1948) and his friend Gaetano Ponzoni took over the majority of shares in the Milan-based Carrozzeria Falco Vittorio Ascari. The company belonged to the brother of the famous racing driver Antonio Ascari, who drove for Alfa Romeo from 1923. Antonio had won two trophies for his team in Cremona and won the 1924 Italian Grand Prix in Monza. In the new Carrozzeria Touring, as the Carrozzeria Falco Vittorio Ascari was called after the takeover, the talented Anderloni worked as a designer, while the ex-banker Ponzoni was mainly concerned with the management.
The small company became famous for its extremely light car bodies, which it patented under the name Superleggera. The basic construction consisted of a three-dimensional frame made up of profiles of different dimensions. Anderloni, who collaborated with the automobile manufacturer Cesare Isotta Fraschini in the development of the new body shape, used magnesium, aluminium and its alloys and steel. In contrast to the then common ash wood frames, the concept simplified the construction of small series or prototypes.
In addition to saving weight, the Carrozzeria Touring’s goals included reducing air resistance. Touring was one of the first companies to experiment with wind tunnels. The Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 B was the first vehicle to be built in 1937 according to the new principle. Anderloni designed for Alfa Romeo the models 6C 1500 – 2500,8C 2300 – 2900, Villa d’ Este, 1900 Super Sprint, the 2000, the 2600 Spider and Giulia Sprint GTC. In addition, work has been carried out for other well-known manufacturers such as Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia and Maserati. However, the designs were only partly built by the Carrozzeria Touring.
In 1948, after the death of Anderlonis, his son Felice took over the management. His father’s longtime friend Gaetano Ponzoni accompanied him. In the 1950s, the Carrozzeria Touring flourished and the models produced there became pioneering for many car manufacturers. In the early 1960s, the company received a major order from the British Roots Group. The cancellation of this commitment, for which a new plant was built in Nova Milanese, led to economic ruin. At the end of 1966 the Carrozzeria Touring closed its doors forever. Today, these exclusive vehicles are among the most sought-after vintage cars of all times and achieve top prices at auctions.