In Aigle, Switzerland, Dr. Pierre-Paul Filippi, a physician from Turin, founded his Ghia SA body shop in 1948. Originally, the company was founded as a subsidiary of Carrozzeria Ghia SpA, an Italian design office in Turin specialising in motor vehicle design studies and prototypes. In 1953 the production company became independent in Switzerland and moved to Lugano until 1958, when it moved back to Aigle.
Well-known designers such as Mario Boano, Giovanni Michelotti (1921-1980) and Pietro Frua (1913-1983) worked for the body shop. Boano ran the Carrozzeria Ghia in Italy from 1944 to 1953, Pietro Frua learned his trade from the coachbuilder Stabilimenti Farina and was close friends with the designer Giovanni Michelotti. Frua’s elegant models of the 1960s had a significant influence on the development of car design.
Renowned car manufacturers such as Delahaye, VW, Fiat, Chevrolet, Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo provided the basis for the automobiles designed in Switzerland. Until 1958, the Ghia car body built around 80 coupés and convertibles. After that she changed her concept and specialized in hardtops and commercial vehicles as well as the repair of accident cars. In 1981 the company was liquidated, and in 1999 it finally closed its doors after several changes of ownership and name. The Ghia Aigle car body includes the Alfa Romeo 1900 SS Coupé and Spider, the Lotus Eleven Spider as well as the Coupé, the Chevrolet Corvette Coupé and the Porsche 356 B Coupé.