Moretti Fabbrica Automobili e Stabilimenti Carrozzeria in Turin was founded by Giovanni Moretti in 1925. In the early days, the entrepreneur built light motorcycles, some of which he equipped with three wheels and a small loading area for transport purposes. In 1926 he built his first car, the Moretti 500. The designer used a motorcycle engine for the model, which he used in a three-seater body for the model, which was often reproduced until the 1930s. Until the 1950s, Moretti’s own engines were basically used in the vehicles of the body forge. In later years the company concentrated on the production of special car bodies, which were mainly based on Fiat chassis.
After Moretti had produced commercial vehicles with electric drive during the Second World War on behalf of the government, he returned to civilian vehicles in 1946. Moretti continued to dispense with foreign components and designed both the engines and the bodywork itself. In addition to the small cars manufactured as standard and the Fiat special models, special car bodies for Italian sports cars were developed on customer request. In the 1970s and 1980s, Moretti built several prototypes, but they were not yet ready for series production. Among them was a station wagon based on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Moretti Fabbrica Automobili e Stabilimenti Carrozzeria ceased operations at the end of 1989.