Originally Alfa Romeo built the Grand Sport Quattroruote as an eye-catcher for the 1965 Detroit Motor Show, the car owes its name to the Quattroruote magazine, which featured an article on the retro Alfa. The Grand Sport Quattroruote was a replica of the 1750s Gran Sport of the 1930s. Erculo Spada in the house of Zagato designed the chic two-seater roadster with its historical structure.
The handcrafted classic was created on the platform of the Giulia type 101, had a 1.6 litre twin cam engine with double camshaft and had 101 hp. His top speed was 156 km/h. The aluminium body was mounted on a chassis with a traditional Zagato tubular frame and drum brakes at the front and rear for excellent braking performance. In spite of the classical form and solid technology, the concept could not prevail. Depending on the source, only 82.92 and 100 of the two versions “Normal” and “Extra” were produced by Alfa Romeo, respectively. In 1967, the Italian automobile manufacturer stopped production again. The “new old” Zagato roadster disappeared from the streets and fell into oblivion, so that the few remaining models still in existence today have considerable collector’s value.
With the Pettenella Leontina Sport’ Zagato’ Roadster built by the Carrozzeria Pettenalla, a replica of the beautiful 1750 Gran Sport was on sale for a short time during the 1975/1976 years, which (if available at all) is also offered under the name Grand Sport Quattroruote.