The P1, the G. P. R., was also a racing car of Giuseppe Merosi. The career of the 1.9-litre six-cylinder twin-ignition engine was to start at the 1923 Monza Grand Prix. However, when Ugo Sivocci died in a wet training accident the day before the race, Alfa Romeo canceled his participation in the race. The death of Sivocci not only ended the season for Alfa Romeo, but also meant the end of P1. In 1924 followed the P2, a construction by Vittorio Jano.
The supercharged eight-cylinder in-line engine pulled 140 hp out of its two liters and reached an astonishing 224 km/h with it. With Alberto Ascari at the wheel, the P2 Alfa Romeo won a series of victories, including the first World Championship title at the 1925 Grand Prix.
All in all, the six P2 cars built up to 1930 achieved 18 victories and 20 placings.
Enzo Ferrari, who joined Fiat in 1924, was the head of the team at that time. The last two P2s that have survived are now in the Arese factory museum. Type B, also built by Jano in 1932 and renamed P3 in homage to the P2, reached 235 km/h top speed. It had a double cardan shaft, which optimally transferred the 225 hp of the 2.7-litre 8-cylinder in-line engine driven by the compressor to the rear wheels. Very graceful and slender, packed with technical innovations such as a driver’s cockpit in the central area and a v-shaped arrangement of cardan shafts, the P3 Alfa Romeo helped to produce a total of 29 titles. The Bolide could already record a victory at his debut in 1932, the Grand Prix at the Nürburgring. Alfa Romeo produced 15 vehicles of the chic single-seater.